The fourth session of United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA) which was held in Nairobi from 11th to 15th March 2019.UNEA adopted both the resolutions with consensus. The theme of the UNEA this year was Innovative Solutions for environmental challenges and sustainable production and consumption.
- India pilots resolutions on Single-use Plastics and Sustainable Nitrogen management.
- The global nitrogen use efficiency is low, resulting in pollution by reactive nitrogen which threatens human health, eco system services, contributes to climate change and stratospheric ozone depletion.
- Only a small proportion of the plastics produced globally are recycled with most of it damaging the environment and aquatic bio-diversity.
- Environmental challenges related to poverty and natural resources management, including food security, sustainable food systems and halting biodiversity loss.
- Life-cycle approaches to energy, resource efficiency, chemicals and waste management.
- Innovative sustainable business development at time of rapid technological change.
About UN Environment Assembly:
- The United Nations Environment Assembly is the world’s highest-level decision-making body on the environment. It addresses the critical environmental challenges facing the world today.
- The Environment Assembly meets biennially to set priorities for global environmental policies and develop international environmental law.
- The Assembly is the governing body of the UN Environment Programme (UN Environment) and the successor of its Governing Council, which was composed of 58 member States. The UN Environment Assembly, with a universal membership, is now composed of 193 Member States.