Cabinet approves 10% quota for EWS in general category

By |

10% reservation for economically weak among upper caste for UPSC IAS


The Union Cabinet has given its nod for a Constitutional amendment Bill providing 10 percent more reservation for economically weaker sections in direct recruitment (in Government jobs) and for admission in higher educational institutions.

Define Economically Weaker Section (EWS):

  • Having annual income below Rs 8 lakh; agriculture land below 5 acres.
  • Residential house below 1,000 sq.ft.
  • Residential plot below 100 yards in notified municipality and residential plot below 200 yards in non-notified municipality area.
  • The income includes agricultural income; profession etc.

Key Facts:

  • The 10% reservation will be in addition to the existing cap of 50% reservation for the Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and the Other Backward Classes, taking total reservation to 60%.
  • Advertisement
  • The quota targets the poor among the upper castes. This will be over and above 50% mandated by Constitution and hence the need for Constitution amendment Bill.
  • It will need an amendment of Articles 15 (prohibition of discrimination on grounds of religion, race, caste, sex or place of birth) and 16 (equality of opportunity in matters of public employment) of the Constitution.
  • The amendment will have to be ratified in both Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha, by at least two thirds of members present and voting, and by the legislatures of not less than half the states.


Latest Current Affairs

Current Affairs Quiz


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *