STARS Scheme for UPSC IAS Exam
The Union Human Resource Development Minister (HRD) of India Prakash Javadekar launched the STARS scheme on National Science Day (28th February).
- STARS stands for Scheme for Translational and Advanced Research in Science aims to provide funds for projects related to science.
- The cost is Rs 250 crore to fund science projects.
- It will be used for around 500 science projects.
- The selection of these projects would be done on the basis of competitions.
- The project will be coordinated by the Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore.
National Science Day:
National Science Day is celebrated in India on 28 February each year to mark the discovery of the Raman effect by Indian physicist Sir C. V. Raman on 28 February 1928. For his discovery, Sir C.V. Raman was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1930.