Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change launched the India Cooling Action Plan (ICAP) to provide sustainable cooling and thermal comfort for all while securing environmental and socio-economic benefits for the society.
India Cooling Action Plan:
- It will provide an integrated vision towards cooling across sectors encompassing inter alia reduction of cooling demand, refrigerant transition, enhancing energy efficiency and better technology options with a 20-year time horizon.
- It will Focus on skilling of RAC service technicians and Suggest interventions in each sector to provide for sustainable cooling and thermal comfort for all.
- The India Cooling Action seeks to at least 30% reductions in cooling energy requirement by improving the energy efficiency of room ACs and fans, better servicing and optimized operations in cold chains.
- Under the action plan, Training and certification of 100,000 servicing sector technicians by the year 2022-23, in synergy with Skill India Mission.
- These actions will have significant benefits including-
(i) Thermal comfort for all – provision for cooling for EWS and LIG housing
(ii) Sustainable cooling – low GHG emissions related to cooling
(iii) Doubling Farmers Income – better cold chain infrastructure – better value of products to farmers, less wastage of produce
(iv) Skilled workforce for better livelihoods and environmental protection
(v) Make in India – domestic manufacturing of air-conditioning and related cooling equipment’s
(vi) Robust R&D on alternative cooling technologies – to provide the push to innovation in a cooling sector