NASA’s Parker Solar Probe completed a year in service. It is part of NASA’s “Living With a Star” programme that explores different aspects of the Sun-Earth system.
Parker Solar Probe
- Parker Solar Probe is part of NASA’s “Living With a Star” programme that explores different aspects of the Sun-Earth system.
- The probe seeks to gather information about the Sun’s atmosphere.
- One of Parker’s main objectives is to investigate what mechanism might be driving extreme heating in the sun’s outermost layer, known as the corona.
- Scientists are curious as why the corona is over a million degrees Fahrenheit (over 555,000 degrees Celsius), while the solar layers below are only a few thousand degrees Fahrenheit each.
- It is the closest a human-made object has ever gone to the Sun.
- The mission is likely to last for seven years during which it will complete 24 orbits.