High level Commission to implement Assam Accord
Prelims level: Assam Accord
Mains Paper :GS Paper- II in Polity & Governance
Why in News?
Cabinet approved setting up of a high-level committee for implementation of Clause 6 of the Assam Accord.The composition and terms of reference of the committee, which will also look at issues related to the Bodo community, will be announced later.
Clause 6 of Assam accord:
- Assam Accord was signed on 15th August, 1985.
- Clause 6 of the Assam Accord “envisaged for Constitutional, Legislative and Administrative safeguard to protect, preserve and promote cultural, social, linguistic identity and heritage of Assam.
- Recommends seats for indigenous communities in the state.
Must Read:Assam Accord (1985)
Role of Committee:
- The committee will assess the requirement of measures to be taken to protect Assamese and other indigenous languages.
- It will also Hold discussions with all stakeholders and assess the required quantum of reservation of seats in the Assam Assembly and local bodies for Assamese people.
- Migrants who had entered Assam between 1951 and 1961 were to be given full citizenship including the right to vote.
- Migrants who have tried to enter India after 1971 were to be deported.
- Those who entered between 1961 and 1971 were to be denied voting rights for ten years but would enjoy all other rights of citizenship.
- Issues of the Bodo people, especially the measures mentioned in the Memorandum of Settlement signed between the Government of India, Assam government and the Bodo Liberation Tigers Force in 2003.