US President has announced that it is time for U.S to fully recognize Israel’s sovereign right over Golan Heights.
About Golan Heights
- Golan Heights belonged to the territory of Syria until 1981 when Israel captured it.
- It was a unilateral annexation and was not recognized by international community
- Syria demands its return from Israel.
- Israel calls it as a buffer zone to protect its territory from the spillover effect of Syrian civil war.
- Israel also fears that Iran, an ally of Syrian president Assad may permanently station itself at
✓ Both Israel and Syria are willing to capture water resource and fertile region of Golan Heights.
✓ Israel and Syrian side is separated from each other by a 400sqKm Area of Separation often
called a demilitarized zone.
✓ The area is dominated by Druze, who are Arab minority and are basically loyal to Assad