US state department has submitted a report on National Human Rights report to the US Congress. In report related to India, they have used the World Press Freedom index to highlight the curbs on Indian Media .
- It Publishes every year since 2002 by Reporters Without Borders (RSF).
- The World Press Freedom Index is an important advocacy tool based on the principle of emulation between states.
- It is a snapshot of the media freedom situation based on an evaluation of pluralism, independence of the media, quality of legislative framework and safety of journalists in each country and region.
- It does not rank public policies even if governments obviously have a major impact on their country’s ranking.
- The 2018 India report covers a range of issues including press and media freedoms, forced disappearances, custodial deaths and the NGO clampdown — which became an issue between the U.S. and India, after the NDA government cancelled licenses of some 15,000 NGOs under the Foreign Contributions Regulation Act.
- In 2016, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry had taken up the issue of the Christian charity, Compassion International, with Minister for External Affairs Sushma Swaraj.