The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy has formulated a Scheme ‘Kisan Urja Suraksha evam Utthaan Mahabhiyan (KUSUM)’ to cautioned against fake websites claiming to be registration portal .
- The proposal on KUSUM Scheme provides for :-
(i) installation of grid-connected solar power plants each of Capacity up to 2 MW in the rural areas;
(ii) installation of standalone off-grid solar water pumps to fulfil irrigation needs of farmers not connected to grid; and
(iii) solarisation of existing grid-connected agriculture pumps to make farmers independent of grid supply and also enable them to sell surplus solar power generated to DISCOM and get extra income.
- The components of the scheme include building 10,000 MW solar plants on barren lands and providing sops to DISCOMS to purchase the electricity produced, ‘solarising’ existing pumps of 7250 MW as well as government tube wells with a capacity of 8250 MW and distributing 17.5 lakh solar pumps.
- The 60% subsidy on the solar pumps provided to farmers will be shared between the Centre and the States while 30% would be provided through bank loans.
- It would provide extra income to farmers, by giving them an option to sell additional power to the grid through solar power projects set up on their barren lands. It would help in de-dieselising the sector as also the DISCOMS.
- The scheme would also promote energy efficiency and water conservation and provide water security to farmers.