The Election Commission indicated to the Supreme Court on Friday that if the 50% Voter Verified Paper Audit Trail (VVPAT) slip verification is carried out, it will delay counting by six days.
- Twenty-one Opposition parties had moved the Supreme Court against the EC’s guideline that VVPAT counting would take place only in one polling station in each Assembly segment in the coming Lok Sabha election.
- VVPAT is an independent verification printer machine and is attached to electronic voting machines that allow voters to verify if their vote has gone to the intended candidate
- As the cross verification of VVPAT paper slips is done in less than 1% of polling stations in each constituency.
- This does not reflect fairness on part of the Election Commission and leave the process to their arbitrary picking of the constituency.
- So cross verification & counting of VVPAT slips is essential in the interest of democratic principles which are-
✓ Transparent election process
✓ Election should be subjected to public scrutiny
✓ Verifiable process for election including casting of votes.