- The fossils of early human being have been found in Africa about 2.6million year back,but there no such evidence in India.So,it appears that India was inhabited later than Africa.
- The appearance of human beings in India was around 1.4 million year ago suggested by the recent reported artefacts from Bori in Maharashra
- The evolution of earth crust provide 4 stages divided into Pleistocene which is most recent,man appeared in this stage and Holocene that is present
- The early man in India used tools of stones roughly decreased by crude clipping therefore it is known as the stone Age
The Stone Age is three kinds which are
- The Old stone or Palaeolithic Age
- The Middle Stone or Mesolithic Age
- The New Stone or Neolithic Age
The Palaeolithic Age(500000-9000BC)
Others name:Ice Age
- Homo Sapiens first appeares and also called Quartzite men
- No knowledge in agriculture,fire and pottery
- They used tools of unpolished,rough stones and lived in cave rock shelters
- Soan valley appeared in Punjab
The Mesolithic Age(9000-4000BC)
- Peoples of this age painting Bhimbetka in Madhya Pradesh
- Tools of this age are microliths,pointed cresconic blades,scrapers etc madeup of stones.
- Adamgarh in Madhya Pradesh and Bagor in Rajisthan evidence of domestication of animals.
The Neolithic Age(4000-1000BC)
- The people of this age used tools and implements of polished stone particularly stone axes
- Burzahom dogs were buried
- They produced ragi and horse grame(kulathi).
- Cultivation of rice are noted in Allahabad
- Domesticated cattle,sheeps ans goats
- Wove cotton ans wool to make cloths
- Hand made pottery ans use of pottery wheels first appeared
- Mehargarh is the oldest site in india
- Indus velley Civilisation was founded
- Copper was the first metal to used by men